Thursday, April 21, 2011

Daffodils from the market

Tuesday March 29, 2011 Day 272

In case you haven’t deduced, market day is a big event in our household. I cannot say exactly why, but I love the open-air markets. Perhaps it is the sense of adventure - the feeling that I could find the perfect Whatever, even though I don’t know what that is! I just might find something that would make my life better - the perfect strawberry, a delectable mango, a stylish dress, or perhaps a new violin (!). The markets have all this to offer and so much more!

Our favorite fromagier required me to spit my gum out before he would offer me a taste of cheese. I offered from my mouth to his hand, but he laughed and refused. It is not the kind of gesture I would make with just any Frenchman, but he is the one who flirts with me and mocks us lightly all the time, so I knew I could do it. I did so with a big grin and got exactly the reaction I expected. He is quite funny.

We bought daffodils, and the vendor added some long thin grass, some small orange flowers on a stem, and a single piece of voliage that I cannot identify. He took the time to tie them with green ribbon, wrap them in tissue paper and brown paper, tie them again with raffia, trim it carefully, and staple a tiny sprig of baby’s breath to the outer wrapping. As he was adding the greenery, I got excited and told him I was grateful, that I am a painter and would be painting the daffodils. As he finished up his work, I remarked that he was an artiste as well. He said he was, and a sculptor as well. I would love to see his work!


This afternoon I painted the daffodils. I did the daffodils first, before I put in any background. I showed them to Roger, telling him I still needed to put in the background. He asked why they needed a background - he thought they looked pretty good as they were - and I told him that the right background would make them pop out of the paper. Here are some photos of the subject and the paintings, one without background, and two with background, with the latter taken in various lights.


Without background

With background - flash photo

I was going to post one taken without a flash at night in our apartment, with only the incandescent lights on, but somehow it will not import in the landscape mode - only portrait, which puts the flowers on their sides! Bummer!!

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/