Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Thanksgiving Dinner

Sunday November 28, 2010 Day 151

My cold persists. I am sure Roger is hoping I will keep it to myself. Nevertheless, a little after noon, we put our pie and cranberry bars into a box and set out for the blue tram. It was cold and rainy - it wasn’t raining at the time but it had just stopped a few minutes before we left and the streets were still quite wet. We rode the blue tram to the Corum, where we transferred to the red tram and rode up to a stop near Mariannick’s house. Mariannick kindly offered to give us a ride to the AWG Thanksgiving luncheon at Domaine de Fondespierre, where we walked last week. She met us at the stop after I called her and let her know we missed the earlier tram, and we would be about ten minutes late - the trams run every 15 minutes on Sundays. Even though we were late, we arrived at the Domaine right at 1:00. The first hour was for aperitif, and there was a hot cider with Calvados for the adults, juices for the kids, and lots of munchies.
After the aperitif, we began the feasting. AWG provided the turkey and the wine, and everybody else brought food for the “groaning board.” It really groaned! There was lots of sumptuous food, some of it traditional, some of it very different! There was, for instance, a salad of corn which looked as if it had whipped cream in the center of it. Instead it was crème fraiche (France’s version of sour cream), and it tasted much better than I expected. There was dressing, gravy, a bit of cranberry sauce, whipped potatoes, sweet potato casserole (no marshmallows on top - I don’t think they have them here), Brussels sprouts, green beans, and lots I am sure I am leaving out. There were bottles of wine on every table. Then there were the desserts! My pecan pie, a couple of pumpkin and sweet potato pies, a spice cake, a chocolate cake with white icing, another spice cake, pumpkin spice cupcakes, and more and more and more. It was really quite delicious! Below is the dessesrt table.

What with the turkey and its trpytophan, the wine and the over-eating, we were rather quiet on the way home. Mariannick dropped us at a tram stop near our the city center because she wanted to show us a particular pick-up spot for the future, and we walked across the spine of Montpellier and arrived home cold but stuffed. Like the board at the luncheon, we were groaning. But we had some hot tea to warm our throats, I heated up my warmie and we lazed the evening away on our computers. I think Roger had a little snack late in the evening, but I didn’t have anything more to eat.

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/