Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Chewy Noels

Wednesday December 8, 2010 Day 161

Friday I am going to a tea and I must take something to eat, so I planned to make Chewy Noels. I pulled the last of our eggs out of the refrigerator and set about chopping nuts. In the meantime I popped the baking dish into the oven with the butter in it. When I had the ingredients ready, I poured them into the dish and put it in the oven to bake for the requisite 25 minutes. After that time, they were puffy but not browned or set, so I baked them another ten minutes. They were still unsatisfactory, so I added another five minutes to the baking time, but didn’t dare add more because I was afraid they would dry out too much. I declared them done and removed them from the oven, but forgot to turn them upside down while they were hot so they would come out of the pan easily. Sigh. After I complained yet again about the undercooked condition of the food coming out of the oven, Roger remarked that the thermostat probably does not correspond with the setting on the knob, and that I should consider turning up the oven in the future when cooking. I recalled that I had seen an oven thermometer in a drawer in the kitchen, but hadn't put it to work. I guess I will next time I bake!


We spent some time in the evening reviewing shore excursions for our upcoming cruise. We are signed onto a 12-day Norwegian Cruise Lines Mediterranean cruise. The cruise starts in Barcelona and our ports of call will be Rome, Ephesus (Turkey), Athens, Alexandria (where we will stay overnight), and Valletta on the island of Malta. A lot of shore activities are available and we made plans and bought tickets for an excursion in each port.

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/