Tuesday, December 7, 2010

More cold - more weather forecasting glitches

Tuesday November 30, 2010 Day 153

I don’t understand weather forecasting at all. When we got up this morning, the weather page said it was four degrees. It also said that the maximum today would be nine degrees, the minimum would be seven. Huh? As it turned out, I am not sure we achieved the minimum. When I checked around 3:30, it was only six degrees.

We went to the market this morning, late, as it was cold. We didn’t buy too much - mostly the ingredients for another round of butternut squash soup. That stuff is SO good!

I am going to an AWG Cook and Eat outing tomorrow and needed a gift. There was a guy there selling lovely stoneware, and he had a nifty herb grinder filled with herbs de provence which I decided to buy. It was raining lightly as we left the market, and the streets were almost completely wet by the time we made the ten-minute walk back home. We didn’t bring rain gear, but we were bundled against the cold and that was sufficient.

On our way back we dropped in at the bakery and bought a grain baguette and a hot white-bread baguette. The latter was so good in this cold that we managed to demolish the whole baguette at lunch. We really try not to eat that much bread, but it was just too delicious to stop. We learned that the bakery usually pulls hot baguettes out of the oven right at 6:00, and sometimes we tried to show up to get one, but that is a habit we could not afford to indulge in much, so we pretty much stopped. It’s easy to see why - a baguette usually lasts us a couple of meals.

My cold is still moving through all its various stages. I napped again this afternoon - this after I said I don’t nap much, and accused Roger of being the family napper. Roger tucked himself under a cover on the sofa, so I went to the bedroom and slept for about an hour. My napping will likely stop once the cold is gone.

We cocooned the rest of the day. I decided I would decorate a bag to match the herb grinder I bought at the market, so I squeezed out some colors and set about painting a plain brown paper bag that I had on hand. I only had five colors: red, yellow, green, black and white. The red was much more pink than red, so didn’t always make a satisfying orange when I needed it to. The bottom of the grinder is burnt sienna, but I had none. I ended up with a very unsatisfactory brown for that area. This is the first art project I have actually done since I arrived in France, although I took a stab at a couple of others. It was a nice start, even with the issues that arose around the red. I bought these paints a month or more ago, and have thought about painting various times; this time I answered the call. Maybe it will be a beginning. I will have to get a truer red, though.

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/