Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Getting ready to cruise

Saturday December 11, 2010 Day 164

We skipped the market at Les Arceaux this morning. We are trying to reduce the food in our house for when we are gone. We did some laundry in preparation for our upcoming trip. Roger took clothes to dryer - a rarity for us, but they wouldn’t have time to dry otherwise.

Roger went out to get some anti-calcaire tablets and to try to buy a camera battery - ours can only take five flash photos before the indicator blinks to tell us that the battery is running low. I ran an eBay check the other day and found that we can get one in the U.S. for as cheaply as a dollar or two. He priced the same thing here and found that the local camera store wants 53 Euros for the same battery. C’est trop cher! We will wait until we return to the States to get a new battery!

I walked to esplanade around 4:00 to pick up Roger from chess. He introduced me to a couple of the players, and we had to wait several minutes while two guys finished with Roger‘s chess set. From there we walked to the International Chapel for an evening of Christmas carols. Pages of song lyrics were lying on our chairs, and additionally, the lyrics were projected onto a screen. I noticed an interesting anomaly - the lyrics to the third verse of Hark, the Herald Angels Sing were printed (and projected on the screen) as “Hail the heav'n-born Prince of Peace! Hail the Sun of Righteousness!” I was sitting next to a guy who happened to be holding a music score to the song, and the lyrics were the same. Funny, I learned the lyrics years ago as “Hail the Son of Righteousness.” I sang “Son” instead of “Sun.” There were eats afterwards, and we stood around talking to several AWG members we knew. Maggie was quite complimentary of my voice, telling me it was too bad that I would not be around for the rest of the holiday season to join in more carols.

Afterward, we went to the Christmas market and I bought a netbook computer case at one of the booths. I had been eying it for a while now, and finally decided to take the plunge. The guy wanted to know if it was a gift. I said “Yes, for moi!” and kissed Roger, who pulled out cash to pay for it! On our way across the Esplanade, we came upon a truck with a monster-looking thing standing in the back of it. Weird!

We finished a couple of other errands, including printing our Barcelona hotel info and buying a hot baguette to go with soup for supper, then went home to pack and finish getting ready for our next big adventure.

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/