Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tomato soup - a little bit of heaven in a bowl!

Wednesday November 17, 2010 Day 140
It was quite cool this morning, so we didn’t make the Peyrou. We went to the grocery store in the late morning for supplies. I allowed myself to buy some Speculoos spread after a month hiatus. I am going to have to eat this sparingly, as it has 89 calories in 15 grams (about a tablespoon, I think). I was pigging out on it in September and October, hence the need to chart that food and count those calories. Sigh.

Roger left for chess around 2:00, and I left to go to the Peyrou, where I picked up the pace from our usual activity there. I completed three rounds in 30 minutes, the same amount of time it usually takes us to do two and a half rounds. I guess we have been sandbagging! Afterward I continued my quest for 20,000 steps. I didn’t find them all, but did find more than I found yesterday. I’m still looking!

I blanched a couple of pounds of tomatoes for tomato soup this morning. When I got home from my walk, I chopped them and proceeded to make some tomato soup. It turned out really, really well, particularly for the calorie count, which is about 100 per bowl. Fair warning: I am probably going to be discussing the calorie count of lots of foods as I struggle with my diet. Unfortunately the butternut squash soup we had yesterday had more like 300 calories per bowl. Ouch!

There is a shop around the corner from us called The English Corner Shop. They have lots of foods from both Great Britain and the United States. In fact, shoppers are invited to order their favorite foods and the shop will see about importing them for us. They have just started a website as well, and one of my recipes made the Recipe of the Month. I submitted my tomato soup recipe and took some down to the owners of the shop, so that recipe will probably be next time’s Recipe of the Month. It was REALLY good! Check out my barbeque sauce recipe which is the first Recipe of the Month for the brand-new website.

http://englishcornershop.fr/Site/Recipe_of_the_Month.html

The other day while walking to the market, we noticed an interesting display in the window of an optical shop. I thought this was a clever use of dryer ventilation duct!

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/