Saturday, November 27, 2010

Saturday November 20, 2010 Day 143
The market today was large, crowded, cool and threatening rain. Indeed, we arrived back at the apartment afterward just in time, as the rain came only a few moments later. The thing I like about the markets is that I never know what is going to be there, and the anticipation of discovery is always present. We were not disappointed - we saw something we had never seen before: cabbage roses. I have read about cabbage roses but have never seen any. But the instant we saw them, Roger and I immediately knew what they were!

There were three kittens for sale (or maybe just to give away - we didn’t check) in a box in the middle of the sidewalk. Oh, for a kitten fix! But I didn’t ask - I was afraid he would insist that I take one. Or all three! There were falafel, and Roger bought a paper of ten. Delicious! There was a vendor there whom we had never seen before. He was selling plain white dishes, of all sorts and shapes, much like those used in many restaurants. The prices seemed to be reasonable, but we are not in the market for much of anything except for a teapot. We bought salmon, turnips, carrots, onions, two Christmas cacti, and pecans (Roger wants pecan pie for Thanksgiving).

After lunch I spent some time preparing my blog for my father to read. He is not internet savvy, so I decided to print it out for him. He also has macular degeneration and has difficulty reading small print. So my mission was to print it out and send it to him. As I started working on it, I realized that the costs might be rather high in doing it from here - I have to pay ten cents per page for printing, and it costs almost a dollar to send an envelope with about five sheets or less of paper. Because I blow the font up to 20-point type, my blog for him presently consists of well over 200 pages. At that rate, the cost would be well over $60, and that is just through the end of October. My sister Jane came to my rescue and agreed to print the blog out for me, so I spent almost an hour this morning setting it up to send to her. She said she got a couple of reams of paper for just the tax, and a couple more for a dollar plus the tax, so she is in good shape for paper. The real expense will lie in the printer cartridge.

Roger declared that it was too wet and cold to check out the chess area today, so we spent the afternoon being lazy indoors.

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/