Monday, November 22, 2010

Home sweet home

Sunday November 14, 2010 Day 137

What a wonderfully lazy day. It is so good to relax with my own computer and do almost nothing all day. I did wash three loads of clothes. It is cool and humid, bordering on rain, so the things I hung outside to dry are not making much progress. I hung the rest of the clothes indoors.


I spent a good deal of time getting my plants back in shape after our trip. I keep most of them outside, but brought them in before we left on the theory that they would dry out less in our cool apartment than outside where they would be subject to the vagaries of wind and weather. The cyclamen did not do well, but everything else seems pretty healthy. A week or two before we left I sprayed my geraniums because they were suffering from a bug infestation. They are recovering nicely, but I think they were happy to go back outside after we got home. Here is my dragon wing begonia, which I do not put outside. It sits on our dining room table and drops its blooms daily!

Out ten days in Italy were great, but it was wonderful to be back home. Indeed, the first “wonderfulness” was when we crossed into France from Italy and saw familiar French signs - a contrast to those we could not understand in Italian. We really are beginning to think of France as “home,” or, more accurately, our home away from home. After four and a half months of being in France, I think I can honestly assert that the U.S. will always be our home. It may be good to be away from the politics, the incessant TV, the scare-mongering, etc., but I will return very willingly at the end of our sojourn here.

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/