Monday, October 4, 2010

Exploring the Corum

Sunday, September 26, 2010 Day 88


Today was quite cool – I don’t think it even got into the 70s. I sat around huddled under a blanket and sulked about my computer until we reached a point where we tried out the heater. It puts out pretty good heat. It is a hot-water-through-radiators system, and the radiators warmed up quite nicely.

Roger made me get up and out in the afternoon, which I resented on one level but really appreciated on another. It got me out of the house and out of my funk, and it served to warm me up. I put on my new scarf and a nice warm jacket and we wandered about the city centre where we live. We went down to the Comedie to check out the booths again, but they had all been removed, so we sauntered up Place Charles de Gaulle to the Corum, an entertainment facility at the top of the Place. We headed up a set of stairs to the locked front doors when we spied another set of stairs leading upward along either side of the Corum. We followed them up and around, and they led to even more stairs to the very top of the Corum and a nice overlook of part of the city. Not as many steps as the Peyrou, but a nice, needed workout nevertheless. From there we walked back to the very bottom of the Corum and checked out the Martin Luther King centre, where we will attend a Friends of Anglophone Library function on Thursday evening – cocktails from 6:00 to 8:00. It will be a chance to meet some more of the English-speaking community here. Apparently there was an American Library here until it closed in January. This is an attempt to get it revived, I think.

The Saints game started at noon ET, which meant it started at 6:00 p.m. here. This allowed Roger to “watch” the game – that is, he could see the written description of each play a minute or two after it happened on the field. He was disappointed to learn that the internet radio broadcast of the games is not available outside the U.S. He was even more disappointed that the Saints lost. Sigh.

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/