Sunday, October 10, 2010

Along the Lez with Egan


6-10-2010
Originally uploaded by cspatrick
Wednesday, October 6, 2010 Day 98
After a 5-day hiatus, we walked the Peyrou this morning. On the hike last Thursday, I twisted my knee, so we had been giving it a chance to heal. I felt this morning that my knee was well enough and up to the challenge and I was right – I was able to complete the workout with no pain. Afterward we returned to the apartment to clean house, this being Wednesday. This afternoon we agreed to meet Elisabeth so she could tell us some of the “must-see” places within driving distance of Montpellier (of course we don’t have a car!). We met at Sisters Café near St. Roch church. We may have cut her a bit too short, as I think she was prepared to spend 2-3 hours telling us about all the sights we should try to see in and around the area. We had only set aside one hour, and planned to leave at 4:30. Elisabeth was late, and we only got in about 40 minutes of discussion before we had to leave. I was torn, as Elisabeth clearly wasn't through talking about the history of wine and the Romans. When we left her, she appeared rather offended that we were just up and leaving her, but we told her that we had to go. On the way back, I had my head down and was moving along rapidly. As we passed the medical school, a woman came out of the gate. I didn’t pay much attention to her, but Roger said a surprised “bonjour” as we walked. I asked who that was, and he said he thought it was Mara, our downstairs neighbor.

Later, we joined Peggy and Egan in their walk along the river. The trek along the Lez is such a pretty walk and it is fun to watch Egan dart around after birds and splash in the Lez. Afterward we returned to Peggy’s house and she gave me a couple of pots and some potting soil. I have some spider plants from the garden club which I started for her, and I intend to transplant them into her pot and mine. She then helped us access and listen to our messages on our French-speaking phone, and helped us set up an outgoing message for the phone.

I worked myself into a snit about housework today. I think it has a great deal to do with the fact that I was washing dishes for the second time in one day while Roger was reading on his computer. I felt sorely aggrieved that I don’t even have a computer to work on right now, and even more aggrieved that I was pooped from doing other housework as well. Up until now our agreement has been that I will wash dishes and put them in the basket and Roger will put them away, drying them if I need room in the basket, but otherwise letting them air-dry. So today Roger agreed to do the dish washing if the dishes need washing more than once a day, which occurs every two or three days, or every time we cook. I may even let him drop that once I get my computer back. I find I miss it sorely!

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/