Thursday, October 7, 2010

2-10-2010


2-10-2010
Originally uploaded by cspatrick
We glanced through some of the wares in front of a pottery shop and I spotted two unpainted ceramic plaques of dolphins for 2€ each. We bought them for me to paint and hang in our bathroom, which has some dolphin tiles. We bought some cheese next, then just outside the fromagerie, we passed a couple of boys – maybe 10 or 11 years old, who were selling used items on the sidewalk. We spotted a nice-sized pitcher, and when we learned they wanted 2€ for it, we bought it as well. This is the largest iced tea picture we have found yet.
We returned to the apartment for round two of the onion soup trials. This went pretty well, as I cooked the roux mixture a good deal longer; not long enough to get the traditional red color, but it did at least begin to pick up some of the red-brown hue. It took quite a long time to achieve that color, and it was clear to me that it would be at least another half hour, perhaps more, before I would achieve the color I really wanted, so I finally surrendered. I wanted to get my hair washed, rolled and dried before 6:00, as we had a Skype date with Ronnie and Shelli for that time. Before I could get into the bathroom to start washing my hair, Elisabeth called. Elisabeth is a 60-something French woman who has taken something of a fancy to us and wants to help us maximize our time in France. So she called and we talked for almost an hour and a half! Actually, she talked and I made lots of “uh-huh” and “oui” noises. I finally got her off the phone.
When we called the Richards’ computer, Ronnie answered and asked if we could postpone talking for 10 or 15 minutes so they could eat breakfast. We said “of course” and laughed, because we were almost ready for dinner! Not too much later we had a nice one-hour conversation with Ronnie and Shelli. Great way to end the day!

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/