Monday, January 25, 2016

Heading home from Munich - an all-day trip

Monday June 20, 2011                                             Day 355
We left Munich this morning. In the train station before our departure, we purchased some lunch – a barbequed chicken quarter and a buttered pretzel for me, a sandwich for Roger consisting of a thick slab of meat inside a bun. It turned out to be one of the better meals we have had on a train – the chicken was outstanding, and Roger said his sandwich was quite good, even if he could not determine what kind of meat was in it!

The train from Munich had a power source, so I charged my computer for the duration. The other two trains did not have any electrical outlets. Unfortunately, my computer has a battery life of only one hour forty-five minutes.

We changed trains in Stuttgart to a French SNCF train. We had only seven minutes, and we were concerned about making the connection, but our train was on time, and the connecting train was on the same platform, so there was no problem finding it and getting settled in promptly.

We changed trains again in Paris, but this involved a change of stations as well. We expected to have two hours for the change, but our train was late getting into Paris; even so, we had more than an hour. We made the metro trip without incident, and once we arrived in Gare de Lyon, I left the station in search of some fruit and a dinner other than sandwiches. I found a Monop, which is a small version of a Monoprix grocery store with lots of ready-to-eat items. I found a cold chicken and pasta salad for me and a hot chicken pasta dish for Roger, which I heated in the microwave oven in the store. I also bought some strawberries and some cookies. We got home about 9:00.


I called Daddy and chatted with him for a bit, wishing him Happy Father’s Day. He seems content in his new surroundings, although it is hard to tell whether he is really happy or not – he doesn’t express a lot of joy or sorrow. I apologized for not calling him on Father’s Day, and we had a nice chat. We spent some time on the internet, then collapsed for the night.

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/