Monday, June 14, 2010

wrapping up, wrapping up

Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Doonesbury comic strip today has a comment in it that is very appropriate to our situation: we are “at that stage of life where you start to let go of the things you once were.” We are certainly letting go: of our house, our cars, our stuff, our professional lives, our friends, neighbors. We really are turning life on its head, aren’t we?!

I broke my glasses the other day – one earpiece just decided to come apart; not detach from the main frame, but to actually break. I am debating how to handle it. I fell back on an old pair which I planned to take to France anyway as a backup, but now the question is whether I want to try to get the earpiece replaced, which will entail a trip into Metairie during office hours, or take the glasses to some place where they can duplicate the prescription and produce an entire new set of specs. The former is cheaper, but I am loathe to leave the house for that long, as I feel the need to keep working, and a trip into town is a big disruption. Sigh.

There is a final DuPont Ladies Luncheon on Thursday, sort of as a goodbye to me. I say that because it is not really about me – we have these lunches every couple of months or so. But Judy did want to schedule one last one before I leave, so we set it up for Thursday at Taste of Bavaria in Ponchatoula. I wasn’t sure Judy had the heart to set up another one, as the last one was a bomb for her. She offered Sara a ride, and thought they agreed to meet at a shopping center, but she and Sara evidently miscommunicated, and Judy waited for almost an hour for Sara to meet her. When we finally got in touch with her, Sara said “oh, she didn’t think she would go today,” clearly unaware that she had held Judy up for over 45 minutes. Judy was too dispirited to join the others of us (just Cheryl and myself) for lunch that day. That’s enough to sour one from planning such an event entirely! But Judy bravely called me again last week to set up this one last luncheon before I leave. Looks like we may have only three of us.

The Moiseseseses are not going to buy our car, so we will be driving it to Atlanta. Hopefully we can sell it before we go. We will be there for almost a week, so that should give us some time to market it. If not, Peter and Alicia have graciously agreed to continue to market it for us. I hope our experience will mirror that of Christa, who listed her car on Craigslist one morning and had it sold by 3:00 p.m. Roger pointed out that hers was a pretty desirable sports car, while ours is a 7-year-old Camry. Still, I think Toyota products are desirable. Qui sait?

No comments:

 
http://frenchlving.blogspot.com/